The Faculty of Law
Like many universities, the University of Melbourne initially had no faculties. Teaching was managed directly by the Professorial Board and the University Council.
In 1873, the growing Law School was reorganised and new staff were appointed. Part of the reorganisation was the creation of the Faculty of Law, the University's first, to oversee the Law School's academic activities. William Hearn, one of the University's foundation professors, became Dean of Law.
The Faculty's members were the full-time Dean, the four part-time lecturers, and the members of the University Council with legal qualifications. This membership linked the Law School with the practising profession and the courts. Over the years, non-teaching members of the Faculty have included chief justices, practising lawyers and prominent business figures.