The Changing Face of Legal Education in China
Time: 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM
2012 Sir George Turner Lecture
In the more than three decades since the anarchy of the Cultural Revolution drew to a close, China has worked to develop a modern system of legal rules and legal institutions, consistent with Chinese culture and suited to a deeply interconnected world. One aspect of that development is legal education. The post-reform system initially resembled that of continental Europe - more oriented towards teaching students about law than to prepare them for professional careers. In the past 15 years, however, China has also been experimenting with other models. One of the more remarkable efforts is the Peking University School of Transnational Law. Opened in 2008, "STL" offers an American-style J.D. program in combination with a Chinese "Juris Master" program. Jeffrey Lehman, STL's Founding Dean, will discuss some of the unique questions the School has confronted, and the responses to those questions it has ventured so far.
About Jeffrey Lehman
Jeffrey Sean Lehman is chancellor and founding dean of the Peking University School of Transnational Law, on leave from his position on the faculty of Cornell University. He has previously been president of Cornell University, dean of the University of Michigan Law School, a tenured professor of law and public policy, a practicing tax lawyer, a law clerk to Associate Justice John Paul Stevens, and a law clerk to Chief Judge Frank M. Coffin.
Lehman currently serves as an independent director of Infosys Technologies (NASDAQ:INFY), chairman of the board of Infosys Public Services, a trustee of Internet2, a trustee of New York University – Shanghai, and a senior scholar at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars. He previously served as president of the American Law Deans Association.
Lehman’s honors include China’s “Friendship Award” (the highest award given to foreign experts by the Chinese government), an honorary doctorate from Peking University, honorary professorships at several other universities, and the National Equal Justice Award from the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. He earned a bachelor’s degree in mathematics from Cornell University and advanced degrees in law and public policy from the University of Michigan.
Melbourne Law School, Theatre G08
185 Pelham Street, Carlton, Victoria 3053
- We strive to ensure the accuracy of information in our database but please be advised that details are subject to change. Where appropriate, we will contact you regarding such changes before finalising your registration/order.
- I understand that I may be filmed, audio recorded and/or photographed and that these may be used in materials and publications produced by Melbourne Law School, the University of Melbourne and its affiliates.
- My name and contact details may be included, at the discretion of the organiser, in materials relating to the event including, but not limited to, Melbourne Law School electronic and printed materials and materials produced by the organiser.
- The information on this form is being collected by Melbourne Law School and its associated research centres. You can contact Melbourne Law School on +61 3 8344 4475. The information is being collected to enable processing of your registration to an event hosted by Melbourne Law School and its associated research centres.
- Information may also be passed on to other groups within the Melbourne Law School for the purpose of updating databases and producing communications relevant to the Melbourne Law School.
Terms & Conditions for Paid Events
- Online payments may only be made by credit card (Amex and Diners are not accepted). If you need to pay by cheque, please email the contact person for the event allowing sufficient time prior to the event to ensure that payments may be processed.
- All prices are in Australian Dollars and include 10% GST (tax) where chargeable. GST is payable by overseas registrants.
- Refunds may only be provided based on the details and dates provided in the event brochure or event web site. Where cancellations are not eligible for a refund, a replacement delegate will be permitted.
- Late registrations and registration changes may incur an administration fee.