Conflicts in Sudan: Historical, Legal and Personal Perspectives - Panel Discussion
Time: 6:00 PM - 7:15 PM
At this event, organised by the Asia Pacific Centre for Military Law at Melbourne Law School and chaired by Dr Kevin Heller, speakers from a range of perspectives will discuss the different issues surrounding the conflicts in Sudan and the international criminal proceedings that have resulted from them.
Dr David Mickler, School of Social and Political Sciences, The University of Melbourne, will outline the key historical and contemporary factors that have created and sustained multiple violent conflicts in Sudan, noting the legacies of colonial governance structures and national mal-governance in independent Sudan, as well as the more recent conflicts over identity and natural resources.
Dr Kevin Heller, Melbourne Law School, will provide an overview and an update on the current proceedings against Sudanese government officials at the International Criminal Court.
Nyadol Nyuon, JD student at Melbourne Law School, will give a personal perspective on past (post-independence) activities, the current status and the future of south Sudan.
Lecture Theatre G08, Ground Floor
Melbourne Law School 185 Pelham Street Carlton, Victoria
- We strive to ensure the accuracy of information in our database but please be advised that details are subject to change. Where appropriate, we will contact you regarding such changes before finalising your registration/order.
- I understand that I may be filmed, audio recorded and/or photographed and that these may be used in materials and publications produced by Melbourne Law School, the University of Melbourne and its affiliates.
- My name and contact details may be included, at the discretion of the organiser, in materials relating to the event including, but not limited to, Melbourne Law School electronic and printed materials and materials produced by the organiser.
- The information on this form is being collected by Melbourne Law School and its associated research centres. You can contact Melbourne Law School on +61 3 8344 4475. The information is being collected to enable processing of your registration to an event hosted by Melbourne Law School and its associated research centres.
- Information may also be passed on to other groups within the Melbourne Law School for the purpose of updating databases and producing communications relevant to the Melbourne Law School.
Terms & Conditions for Paid Events
- Online payments may only be made by credit card (Amex and Diners are not accepted). If you need to pay by cheque, please email the contact person for the event allowing sufficient time prior to the event to ensure that payments may be processed.
- All prices are in Australian Dollars and include 10% GST (tax) where chargeable. GST is payable by overseas registrants.
- Refunds may only be provided based on the details and dates provided in the event brochure or event web site. Where cancellations are not eligible for a refund, a replacement delegate will be permitted.
- Late registrations and registration changes may incur an administration fee.